It's been quite a week! So warning, long post ahead; but I'll break it up to ease your darling eyes.
1) Kíla - Turns out traditional (trad) Irish music isn't just for old-man pubs and tourist traps! Turns out it can ROCK! Last week Kíla (music plays with page), an Irish/Eastern Euro/Spanish/African/I-don't-know-what fusion band, came to UCD for the Irish Language Week; ie Seachtain na Gaeilge (haha or shock-ta na gale-ga to us foreigners). At times it was very trad, other times just a little yazz-flutey. If Santana were Irish, this is what they'd be playing. The best part was their performance. They were simply electric and the crowd (full of students) was jumping and clapping and cheering along. The whole time I kept thinking how very Austin it felt, well except for the band only speaking and singing in Irish!!
2) Rubgy - AAAAHHH YES the 6 Nations Tournament has STARTED! Went into a pub in town for the Ireland - France game on Saturday. 30-21. Eat it France.
3) Thesis - Eek my first rough draft of the proposal is due next Monday. Still don't have an exact hypothesis and research question pinned down but I'm essentially going to be exploring the reasons for why healthy, affordable food is much more readily available in suburban Ireland than suburban United States, with a focus on local produce. I'll be looking at the potential economic, ideological, historical and political reasons behind the differences. Feel free to share resources or ideas with me. I'd love input.
4) Hanna's House - The program I'm interning with has its first seminar on Wednesday in Derry! I'm going to be in charge of registration (for 150 people!!!). We've got a meeting tomorrow with volunteers, so I'll be heading up tomorrow morning. I'm very excited :D
5) Gardening - I've decided to start guerilla gardening!! Grrrr! I already have a rogue compost pile (Why hello path walkers, pay no attention to the girl digging off to the side...) and I've realized what a nice little clearing its in. Now it isn't true guerilla style because it's not really abandoned, but it would be quite nice to have a pretty flowering/growing alcove there. A few people in my course are going to help out too! Obviously we'll have to wait until the frosts are done (ie mid-April) to put plants out, but who knows it could end up being awesome.
Monday, February 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment