I haven't been particularly political on this blog yet, but I wanted to let everyone know that today (Nov. 20th) is the International Transgender Day of Rememberance. Transgender people throughout the world have a horrifically high chance of experiencing violence and murder; in fact the Human Rights Campaign states that American Transgender people potentially have a 1 in 12 chance of being murdered. Even if that's an inflated number the conservative estimate is that transgendered people are murdered at 10 times the rate of everyone else. These are hate crimes. This shouldn't be happening. Period. So today is a day to remember the wrongfully dead among the transgender community. It's still early enough in the day for most of y'all to find an event in your city and attend in solidarity, in mourning, in rage, or in respect. And if you're in Ireland and want to know more check out the Transgender Equality Network of Ireland (TENI) here, or Si here. I'd particularly recommend TENI, as I've met the amazing Chairperson Cat McIlroy. Thanks for reading.
Remembering the (reported) victims of 2008
ps- I apologize for turning the comments moderation on, but ... I figured I needed to.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
No apologies necessary. Do what is right and f**k 'em if they don't like it. I am very proud of you for taking a stand.
Post a Comment