Wednesday, November 5, 2008

On Elections

My President Elect and the First Family!!!

God I wish I could've been in the United States last night! Seeing the pictures of Grant Park in Chicago and election results viewing parties at Bryn Mawr really made me feel apart from things. BUT thankfully the BBC ran a live text commentary from yesterday morning my time (and its still running now!) and a live streaming video coverage of the election from about 8 pm here till the bitter end at 4am this morning, so I was still in the thick of things. Good ol' beeb. It was thrilling to be in class yesterday and have everyone ask me how the election was going? and what I thought? and I HAD voted??? Right?? (Don't worry, I had.) People here in Ireland were still surprised we'd gone for Obama instead of Clinton - which surprised me, but ok - but since the primary everyone I've talked to has been behind him. As an official "American Abroad" I wasn't proud of how my country has been lead in the past 8 years. I've been asked to explain Bush politics I don't know how many times. And now I feel restored and proud. Finally I can throw off the political cynicism that never sat well with me and whole-heartedly embrace my future government. Thank you Barack. Glad you're there.

Here's Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3 of his acceptance speech from last night.

No comments: