So on getting off the bus back to Dublin this Sunday night (went to Coleraine/P'Stewart with the beau, which was wonderful) I had a bit of a revelation. I'm going to be here for at least a full more 11 months. Strange that that hadn't sunk in yet, but apparently it hadn't. I realized that this room at UCD, in Belfield, a Dublin village, in the Republic of Ireland is actually going to be my home for the next year. Whoa. How awesome is that? It's not like before when I was abroad in Belfast, because I always had the knowledge that I'd be going to back to Austin and Bryn Mawr in a matter of a few months. It's a whole different ball game now. So I decided, right there on the street in front of the Busaras, that I'm going to get to know this place. I'm going to try to make this city mine and get out there and see what I can see. Slightly weird I hadn't made that decision before, but now I've made it conscious.
So I went into town today. Visited the George's St Arcade, the Cultivate shop, an Oxfam Ireland shop, and Hackett's Garden Centre. Verdicts? I loved George's St. Arcade, it had a fabulous mix of high/low fashion, little veggie organic cafes, bizarre knick-knack shops and a secondhand book stall! Cultivate was cool, I bought some organic pasta, tahini and a little bottle of Dr. Bronner's tea tree soap (I've wanted to try that stuff for ages). I'll certainly be going back there. This Oxfam shop wasn't as great as the one in the Student's Union at Queen's in Belfast, because the clothes were kinda lame; but I was able to find a pretty scarf for only €4. And Hackett's is a lovely teeny tiny garden centre with walls of seeds and bulbs. That earthy growing smell was too much to resist, so I got a smallish lavender for my room and a rosemary plant for cooking!
Moral of my story? I'm feeling adventurous, promising and determined ... woot :D
Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment