Wednesday, September 10, 2008

My First Trip Into Dublin

This is slightly out of chronological order from the last post, but I made a video from my first trip into downtown on Saturday the 6th. It was a nice foray, definitely a museum kind of day because of the weather. So I went to St. Stephen's Green, had an awesome little lunch in a cafe, visited both the National Museum of Ireland (Archeology & Ethnography site .... of course) and the National Gallery of Ireland. Then I walked up O'Connell St to the Hugh Lane Dublin City Gallery (a contemporary art museum) but... it had just closed. For another time eh?

Highlight of the trip would definitely have to be the 3 MUMMIFIED Irish Kings on display in the National Museum. I had no idea bog preservation was that awesome, you could still tell that one of the kings had had red hair! Oh or maybe the sad person who's job it was to wear the leprechaun suit plus giant papier mache head. That dude was still there four hours after I'd first seen him while walking towards the river. Talk about schadenfreude, just seeing him made me glad I was sitting on a smelly bus out of the rain.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Katie I like your blog, you're making me wish I was in Ireland too! I'll send you an update soon, glad all is well and the classes you mentioned sound really good. x

Rebecca W. said...

I'VE BEEN THERE! that warmed the cockles of my heart to see old stevie green again. take care and enjoy!

Rachel said...

Hey Katie - If you like mummies you should go over to St. Michan's church - they let you touch the mummy of a crusader! So crazy! Good to see you're enjoying yourself!